The stairs can add a dramatic effect to your space. If you want to transform your home and make a good first impression, you should think about renovating your staircase. The first thing that you need to do is to choose a stair system.
Choosing a stair system should be simple not overly complicated but if you are not knowledgeable about its basics, you can easily get confused. To help you get started, here are the steps to choosing the ideal stair system:
You should start by choosing the following styles of stairway:
- Post-to-post: in post-to-post style, the handrail runs between the newel posts. The handrails are attached to newels through rail bolts, screws, and nails. In general, this rail system is easy to assemble. More importantly, this system is less expensive when used with common newel posts. To construct this system, it needs starting newel, landing newel, rosette, and half newel.
- Over the post: in over the post style, the handrail runs over the newel posts using handrail fittings. This allows the hand to run along with the handrails continuously. In general, the style is considered labor intensive and more expensive. To construct this system, it needs starting newel, landing newel, rosette, gooseneck (90°, 180°and straight), and starting fitting.
Once you selected a stairway style, there are more style decisions you need to make. You should determine if you want:
- Open tread stairway: this style gives a sense of space. Open tread stairway style does not feature risers. It means that you can look through the open staircase allowing the light to travel through the stair.
- Kneewall stairway: this style refers to a framed wall that is slightly above the noses of the stair treads. It is running parallel with an incline of the stair, which results in a closed stair.
The next thing that you should do is to pick an infill style. It can be the following:
- Cable: cable railings or often called wire rope railings are considered as a safety rail that utilises vertical and horizontal cables in place of mesh, spindles, and glass for infill.
- Tube: this is a popular infill style, which is weather resistant and fully powder-coated. It is available in different colors as well as grain finishes.
- Panel: this is installed to support the stair’s cladding system. However, it is not load bearing.
- Balusters: balusters refer to smaller vertical pieces in the balustrade. It can help support the handrail. It can come in different materials and designs. For instance, you can choose from wood balusters and iron balusters. Consider stairway balusters georgia as a start.
Aside from choosing the infill style, you should select a handrail profile. There are many styles available.
Finally, you can pick a coordinating newel post style. You can choose between box newels, over the post newels, post-to-post newels, cable system metal newels and many more.
With few tools and basic carpentry skills, you can renovate the staircase on your own. However, if you want quality, you should look for stair specialists that can complete the project with ease.